Monday, August 9, 2010

A not so KODAK, kodak moment.

Have you ever been in public and seen a kid do something crazy and think, "Where are that kids parents?" only to find that that the parents are watching and don't seem to care? Oh man, do I have a good one! A little over a week ago the hubby and I, along with a few friends went to Universal Studios. In the afternoon 3 of us decided to take a little rest in a nice shaded area a little hidden from all the excitement. We were waiting for Claire and her husband Bryan to get back from riding the Jurassic Park water ride.

As we walked into the seating area we saw this little family of 4 enjoying a late lunch, or should I say, the parents were enjoying lunch while the two kids, a girl and a boy, were off in their own world. Instead of eating lunch with mom and dad, I see their little boy, maybe around 6 or 7, pressing his lips to a nearby hand railing and rubbing his face back and forth across it. At first glance, I thought, "that's gross" and looked to see if the parents even noticed. Of course, they didn't. Not only was their kid kissing a dirty public railing but he was climbing over it putting himself at risk of falling into the stream of water below all the while, mom and dad were just minding their own business as if they don't have any kids with them at all. At first I kept my parenting critique to myself but the next thing I just couldn't keep quiet

A few minutes later I see dirty lips walking closer to our table where a large trashcan was situated. At first he's just looking at it, then he gives Mr. Trashcan a little hug, and next thing I know he has his hands at the lip of the trashcan bringing his face toward the swinging window you throw your trash in. With both hands grabbing the lip he begins to stand on his tippy-toes and presses his face against the trashcan window. "Oh my gosh, look at that kid," I whisper to April and Eric. "He's putting his head in the trashcan." As his little blonde hair begins to hit the trash window I frantically look around to see if mom and dad are even watching. Nope, just talking, minding their own business. So I keep watching this kid and at the next glance I see this kid has his entire head, blonde mop of hair and all hanging over the lip of the trashcan all the way to his neck. Oh my gosh, that kid's about to climb in!!! I look back over to mom and dad and now they see him, but instead of reaching over to grab him by the arm and rip their kids head out of the trashcan, dad grabs the camera and proceeds to take a picture! I don't know about you, but there's nothing about my kid climbing into a trashcan at an amusement park that screams KODAK moment. They, however, seemed to think this was the funniest thing and took a few pictures before dirty lips poked his head out of the trashcan and saw that dad was taking a picture.

And, as it is in many families, younger siblings often take their cues from the older ones so about 5 minutes later I see 4 or 5 year old baby sister reaching her hands up to make her climb into the trashcan. Dad, once again reaches for the camera but as many of you might already agree, girls are a little smarter than boys, so baby sister changes her mind after placing her hands on the brim of the trashcan and runs back to mom for a little snack.

I don't know what it is about people sometimes. I know everyone thinks their kids are the cutest and that they do and say the darndest things but I'm pretty sure climbing into a public trashcan is not cute, it's just dirty!!! YUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment